A Haircut and Style

by Jimmie Lanley on April 5, 2010

I’ve had my share of really bad haircuts here in China. My  last haircut was actually fine, but this hairstyle was CRAZY!

Jimmie's crazy hair

While I was getting ultra flip, Sprite got this sweet braided do.

sprite's hairdo

Here I am with my 28 year old stylist. This guy served three years in the military before becoming a hair stylist. I can’t even imagine him as a soldier.

jimmie and stylist

After the major make-over, they had me take pictures with the webcam on the salon’s computer. They were pretty impressed with this hair style. I laughed at it, but I knew I’d never be able to duplicate it even if I wanted to, so I wasn’t too worried. The stylist told me, “Anytime you want me to style your hair, just come back. If I’m not busy, I’ll do it for free. You can put on some nice clothes and go out shopping. Whatever you look at, everyone else will want to buy because you’re so beautiful.” (Gotta love your stylist when he flatters you!)

web cam pic

By the way, this is me day two of the new haircut. This is “normal” me without the crazy flips everywhere.

jimmie under wisteria

Kim April 5, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Definitely like the “normal” you best; but, the flips made you look a few years younger….. :)

Deanne April 5, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Jimmie, that pic of you made me giggle (ok, I laughed out loud). That is just so NOT you, lolol. But Sprite’s is GREAT. I love it!!

Please don’t do the flippy, curly thing again. I love you too much to let you out like that. ;)

One exception, if you’re ever invited the White House for a formal dinner, you can flip it. ;)

Sue April 5, 2010 at 3:23 pm

All flattery aside, you are beautiful flipped or not! I actually like the flips, but I guess they aren’t really practical for every day. I think you made me feel brave enough to go get mine cut. It really has been way too long. Japanese stylists just don’t know what to do with my curly hair (not many Americans ones did, for that matter!), but the curls do make it relatively forgiving of a not so great cut.
.-= Sue´s last blog ..Christ is Risen! =-.

Julie April 5, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Yes, I bet with your light hair and eyes you are “eyed” everywhere you go! Most of my kiddos were blondes when little and I still have one very blonde/blue eyed girl and we are targets when out at very touristy places here in Europe. LOVED by the Japanese people especially! And they are mesmerized by us having 5 kiddos! Needless-to-say, we are in a LOT of tourists pictures! :-)

You both look very pretty!
.-= Julie´s last blog ..Command Aviation Promotion =-.

DebD April 5, 2010 at 7:56 pm

I like the normal you much better. It’s a very nice haircut.
.-= DebD´s last blog ..“Not one dead remains in the grave.”* =-.

Paula April 5, 2010 at 8:17 pm

I vote for ‘normal’ too, but why not have the flip if you have a party? Both look cute.

Last English blog post: http://web.mac.com/kuitenbrouwer/Paula_Kuitenbrouwer/Boekenblog/Entries/2010/3/29_Our_Educational_Giggle_Top_10.html

Dana Wilson April 5, 2010 at 10:05 pm

Ha! What a great post. I love the way you let us in on your life with your personal posts and wonderful pictures, Jimmie!

Drue April 6, 2010 at 12:54 am

Very nice…the normal way. The Wisteria is blooming and gorgeous, too!!

Wendy April 6, 2010 at 4:26 am

I love both styles, flipped out and “normal.” But then, I ADORE curly hair, and wish mine had stayed naturally super-curly after having four kids.
I say wear it whichever way you’re most comfortable, and don’t be afraid to flip it now and again, just for fun! Those curls are nothin’ to the ultra-tight curly 60’s look that I am most comfortable with! ;-)
.-= Wendy @Sun-Kissed´s last blog ..Happy Easter, and Happy Birthday Little Lad =-.

Tracy April 6, 2010 at 4:58 am

I also prefer the ‘normal’ look, but the flips looked like fun. :)Sprite’s hair looks great!

Dana April 6, 2010 at 10:30 am

I love the “crazy flips”, but love the more “natural” you, too. And, Sprite’s hair looks so cute! :-)
.-= Dana´s last blog ..Elephant Seals (Day 2) =-.

J's mom April 6, 2010 at 10:48 am

Looks great! I really love your dd’s hair though–that is cute.

And you already have wysteria flowers! You are obviously farther much south than we are! :-)

Marsha April 6, 2010 at 12:51 pm

I think both styles are cute! I bet he thought it was fun to work on yellow hair. And no, I can’t picture him being a soldier either!
.-= Marsha´s last blog ..Home Sweet Home =-.

Jenn April 6, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Sprite’s hair looks great. I have avoided getting my hair cut this year (I don’t have the language ability you do). The wysteria is starting to bloom here too!

Lori April 7, 2010 at 4:14 am

I thought the “flippy hair” was very beautiful! You look like you are going out for the evening… very “red carpet”. But that’s just me. :-P
(I think I have “high maintenance” taste though, I like things that are perhaps not practical for every day!!)

Deedee April 7, 2010 at 6:41 am

Hey Jimmie! I actually liked it both ways. I think the ‘flips’ would look great on a night out with hubby or a special occasion. But I see why you are more comfortable with ‘normal’ – it is totally more YOU. Great cut though! Much better than Demons! LOL!

Phyllis April 7, 2010 at 7:17 am

Jimmie,
I have been thinking…have you ever considered putting together all of your homeschooling tips entries (along with the tons of lenses you have done!) and writing a book? You know so much about a broad area of homeschooling and you have a lot of practical tips, etc. I think a book like this would sell. I would buy it just to have it all in one volume. What do you think?
-Phyllis
.-= Phyllis´s last blog ..For The Love of Violets: Family Nature Club & The Great Outdoor Chellange, Day 1 =-.

Soultravelers3 April 7, 2010 at 8:33 am

Hola from Spain! Thanks for the giggle! Loved the flip, but much prefer your real look. ;) It reminded me of when we all had our hair done in Florence:

We are on an open ended world tour, so we never know what we will get when we go for a haircut. LOL.

By the way, we will be headed to Asia for the next few winters & my 9 1/2 year old daughter is studying Mandarin ( she is fluent in Spanish & English). If your daughter Sprite would like to have a Skype pal, let me know. I’ve been looking for someone her own age who would like to talk Mandarin with her.
.-= Soultravelers3´s last blog ..Family Travel, Homeschool, Education & Global Students =-.

Sharity April 7, 2010 at 11:20 pm

Well, lovely either way, but I actually like the flips; but I’m from Texas and big hair is always in here, so what do I know?! LOL!

I just wanted to stop by and check out your blog after seeing you on the SCM forum. Thanks for your reply to my question over there.

Blessings!
Sharity

Alexandra April 9, 2010 at 4:50 am

You look like the Breck Girl. LOL…but in a good way.

I’ll never forget getting a huge teased 60’s ‘do with two barrel curls on either side for prom in the early 80’s! This was in Panama, and I made them take it all out. I guess I could have gone as a B-52 girl. ; )
.-= Alexandra´s last blog ..Save-A-Lot Grocery Store Coupons =-.

Shannon April 9, 2010 at 11:39 am

Both do’s look very pretty on you, but I can see how normal would be more practical for everyday. And Sprite looks adorable. :)

Thanks for sharing glimpses into your life in China. My hubby and I are getting the itch to take the kids back for the first time since we adopted our daughter, and reading your blog always makes me feel a little bit closer to such a special place.
.-= Shannon´s last blog ..He Is Risen! =-.