Symmetry Sketches

by Jimmie Lanley on September 2, 2010

One of the sketching tasks in Drawing With Children is to complete the other half of a symmetrical drawing. Mona Brookes calls this mirror imaging, and she includes some of these activities in her warm-ups (see page 67).

wolf symmetry Sprite

As surprising as it may be, the Remembering God’s Awesome Acts curriculum includes several drawing activities. (I need to blog about this amazing book. I love it.)

lantern symmetry lantern symmetry from book

We did a lantern symmetry project from that resource, and then moved on to the wolf which I got from Art Projects for Kids.  (That site says it’s a grade three activity, but of course anyone of any age can use it. I did! Mine is below.)

I thought that the activity was a fabulous practice for both symmetry and for shading, so I created some more of these types of images.

1. Kitten
  2. Pig (finish left side)
  3. Pig (finish right side)
  4. Taj Mahal (finish right side)
  5. Taj Mahal (finish left side)
  6. Chinese temple (finish right side)

Help yourself! Here is Sprite’s pig sketch.

sprite's pig symmetry

Here are my symmetry sketches.

wolf symmetry minemy pig symmetry

A related activity is the Vase/Faces sketch at Betty Edward’s website. She is the author of Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. I’m not sure how this can be, but I happened upon the book in txt or pdf format for free at Scribd. Although I have a copy of this book, I plan to put the PDF on my Kindle for reading while on the go.

drue September 2, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Wow! Just, Wow! Fabulous pig!
We haven’t started school yet…next Tuesday, but I am actually getting a bit excited. The kids seems more mature, I feel less stressed, and little Lagan is eager to start reading. So we’re going to have to put more play and fun in the school year. We might also need to finish up by April as we start the next uncertain phase of our employment or unemployment lives. So thanks again for providing inspiration and reminders of what should be important. (Seems like I say that alot!)

alecat September 2, 2010 at 6:36 pm

What wonderful artwork. Well done you guys!

I really like that book too. It has some wonderful art projects we’re still to utilise.

Diane September 2, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Great drawing activity.
Blessings
Diane

Nadene September 2, 2010 at 11:38 pm

What awesome results! I hope to give this a try with my kids too!

Giggly Girls September 3, 2010 at 12:12 am

You both did a fabulous job!! And your templates are great.

I love the Art Project for Kids website. She has great ideas that even I can implement. LOL

Angela September 4, 2010 at 3:56 am

I love this! Thanks for sharing. It’s just what I needed for the co-op art class I’m teaching next week (I have some kids who will finish and other’s need more time etc). I think the girls will love this and it will be a great exercise for them.

I just received my 2011 Page a Day art calendar. Thanks for sharing that resource as well. Please keep blogging; I just love reading your posts! I’ve been reading your blog for about 2 years now. It’s one of two that I checked almost daily. :-)

Lynn S September 14, 2010 at 10:18 pm

Thanks so much for the finish the drawing samples….it’s so nice to be able to print them off! Wonderful post. Thanks so much.
Lynn S.

Nancy September 15, 2010 at 3:16 am

Great art lesson! You’ve made this clear and easy to do. I really appreciate this type of post. Bravo!

Dana Wilson September 15, 2010 at 9:42 am

Jimmie,
I love the way you have incorporated art into your homeschooling! Far too often we never move past the three Rs. My mother is an artist and my education was substantially enriched by the study of art – both artists and their works as well as how to use various mediums myself. Thanks for sharing your work, too! Thanks for your post!

Pamela September 21, 2010 at 11:16 pm

Thanks for sharing these great ideas and resources. Your mirror drawing turned out wonderfully. I can’t wait to try them with my kids, and I’ll be looking for the books you mentioned.

Queen of Carrots September 29, 2010 at 6:23 am

What great timing! We’ve just had symmetry in our science lessons AND we’re reading Charlotte’s web. Completing these pig pictures will be perfect!

amy in peru October 1, 2010 at 10:25 am

can you guess what we’ll be doing for ‘art’ this week?! ;)

oh and I JUST bought that book… drawing on the right side (maybe it’s not too late to return it?!) ;)

amy in peru