World War 1 Notebook or Lapbook

by Jimmie Lanley on January 28, 2010

ww1 timelineAnother period of history is complete; this time it’s World War 1.

We used the Eyewitness WW1 book as our main resource, and I pulled a few chapters from True Stories of the First World War. The stories were not as good as I’d hoped. They had more of a textbook style than narrative style. Some of the stories dragged on and on… like the war, I guess. I had planned to read all of the book, but because of the style, I picked the best, most engaging stories instead.

WW1 mapwork on lineFor notebooking, we used quite a few pages from the History Scribe Combo I bought way back here. (I’m so getting my money’s worth out of that purchase.)

I found some fabulous printable resources at Schoolhistory.co.uk. The site is a tad difficult to navigate, so I’m going to give you two links to get you started: WW1 Worksheets and Grade 9 WW1 Worksheets. Don’t let the grade 9 scare you. I found several things that were prefect for 5th grade Sprite. The map on the right is an example of what is offered there, all in PDF.

WW1 ntoebooking4And Teacheroz.com has some wonderful WW1 maps. I’m a firm believer in having a map handy during history studies (as well as other subjects). Otherwise, it’s so hard to visualize what you’re studying. The Eyewitness WW1 book is good, but it is really lacking in maps, in my opinion. We referred time and time again to the Western Front map glued onto the blue notebooking page to the left.

The PBS site was helpful in this regard too since it has some interactive diagrams showing battles and the frontlines.
Some more notebooking pages:

ww1 notebook ww1 notebook
ww1 notebook ww1 notebook
As it turned out, my initial plans to create a lapbook changed. So although I found these neat printables, we didn’t even use them. I’ll add them here for YOU!

Free Printable Templates

1. Free templates for minibooks related to WW1 and WW2.
  2. Templates for WWI- German Aircraft minibooks.
  3. Free sample from A Journey Through Learning –shutterfold minibook template including the two sides that fought in WW1.

And here are thumbnails of some additional websites that looked very promising:

Worksheets

Worksheets - World war one

A WW1 Lapbook (Canadian perspective)

WWI Lapbook

A Map of Europe during WW1

WW1 map

Art of WW1

Art of the First World War (1914-18)

My blog will be a tad quiet for the next week or so. All is well. Be blessed.

Erin January 28, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Jimmie
Don’t know if you are still after books, but here is a list of books we read; some picture, some chapter.

also a unity study I wrote up

I found it difficult to find anything out there.
.-= Erin´s last blog ..Milling Our Own Timber =-.

Cindy January 28, 2010 at 8:38 pm

You simply cannot imagine how perfect this post is. I’m ready to jump into WWI Monday and STILL don’t have my plans sorted through. For some reason, WWI has been a stumbling block to me – but now you’ve provided such wonderful ideas and links!! From the bottom of my idealess heart, thank you! :o)
.-= Cindy´s last blog ..JIF Peanut Butter Tour =-.

Jo Anne Mendonsa January 28, 2010 at 9:13 pm

History is a favorite around my house. One story we read every year is about the Christmas Day truce during WWI. I have a book with a shorter version, but here is one link with what transpired:

ChristyH January 28, 2010 at 9:13 pm

We just finished up WW1 two weeks ago and you found way more fun stuff then I did. Great job!

Ticia January 28, 2010 at 10:52 pm

Great post, and this looks so cool! While I love the stage my kids are at now, I have to admit I’m eagerly looking forward to them being where I can teach them history.
.-= Ticia´s last blog ..Quick Mommy craft: Dave Ramsey wallet =-.

kelli January 28, 2010 at 11:24 pm

When we did WWI we did it along side literature and used Rilla of Ingleside (from the Anne of Green Gables series) It’s told from Anne and Gilbert’s youngest daughter, Rilla’s, perspective. A great read aloud.

Lee January 29, 2010 at 12:25 am

For anyone schooling boys–look at number 2 on the free printable templates list. 50 pages of materials on WWI aircraft! Scroll down to the very bottom of the page. There are three things to download.
.-= Lee´s last blog ..Who is the book for? =-.

Samantha January 29, 2010 at 5:44 am

Jimmie,
I know that you used WinterPromise American History 1. Are you using WinterPromise American History 2 with Sprite? I know that WWI is one of the topics covered in American History 2. If you are using it (even loosely), how do you like it? I am thinking of using it next year because I already have it. Even though it is not geared for my oldest, I think I can easily “amp it up” a bit to make it more appropriate for her.
Samantha
.-= Samantha´s last blog ..Publishing Ideas for Student Writing Part 2 – Lapbooks and Folder Books =-.

Amy January 29, 2010 at 11:31 am

Rilla of Ingleside came to mind to me, too, when I read this post. Of course, it’s fiction, and it’s more about a teenage girl and her “coming of age” during this time period, but there are constant references to the war because of her brothers’ involvement.

I’m still trying to think of some other books that might work, but I’m drawing a blank.

Thanks for sharing! I like seeing where we might be in just a few years!
.-= Amy @ Hope Is the Word´s last blog ..Read Aloud Thursday =-.

Myra January 29, 2010 at 11:58 am

On behalf of all Canadians, thank you for sharing the link to the Canadian contribution to the war!

Nadene January 30, 2010 at 1:13 am

You have made so many resources available ~ again! Thanks! My children really could picture the period better once they saw some films from this period. Flyboys made such a clear impression of the type of aircraft and fighting techniques.
.-= Nadene´s last blog ..Remedial Games for b/d, p/q or t/f Reversals =-.

In Our Write Minds January 30, 2010 at 1:24 am

Ah, your post brought up so many fond memories of our homeschooling days. Lapbooking was just coming into its own about the time my youngest was nearing the end of high school, but I find that we did many similar activities along with our various unit studies.

I love keeping up with the newest and best in homeschooling trends, which is why your blog has been such a wonderful find for me!

~Kim
.-= In Our Write Minds´s last blog ..Prizes, drawings, and more – oh, my! =-.