Middle School Egypt Study

by Jimmie Lanley on November 29, 2010

egypt notebook cover
We covered Ancient Egypt way back in first grade, and now we’re revisiting it in sixth grade, using Beautiful Feet ancients as our base.

Books that Bombed

Mummy (Eyewitness Books) (DK Eyewitness Books) This one gets very gruesome towards the end. Sprite didn’t like the pictures. So I put this back on the shelf.

Tales of Ancient Egypt Sprite and I both disliked this book. We read a chapter or two before I decided we had more meaningful books to read. Yuck.

Books Postponed

Mara, Daughter of the Nile This one is sure to be great. The author is one of our favorites. But since I want to wrap up this time period, I’m putting this novel on the shelf of reserve books.

Potato Stamp Heiroglyph Cartouches

tut sculpture finished

Sculpting Tut

Sprite put all of the notebooking pages and minibooks created during this study into a bound book made from manila envelopes. She also used the Ancient Egypt pages from our art calendar to spruce up her project pages.

organizing egypt project

She spread everything out and organized it for her finished project which is a lapbooking-notebooking hybrid.

This is the first inside spread.

egypt notebook inside 1

The best part about the bound book made from manila envelopes is that you can put notebooking pages into the pockets.

egypt notebook 1 pocket

The second inside spread.

egypt notebook inside 2

Third inside spread. We used three manila envelopes for the base.

egypt notebook inside 3

Fourth inside spread.

egypt notebook inside 4

This is Sprite’s monthly writing assignment. She wrote an essay on significant animals in ancient Egyptian culture.

egypt essay inside 5

You can see the envelope flap to the right (photo above). Inside that pocket are more notebooking pages (shown below).

egypt notebook pages

Next stop is ancient Greece.

Sybille November 29, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Wowww! What a great job she did! Amazing!
I just want to see what you do for Ancient Greece, we will learn about in a few months. You are always so inspiring, thanks!

Cindy November 29, 2010 at 5:23 pm

That’s awesome! Thanks for all the wonderful photos!

WordGirl November 29, 2010 at 11:50 pm

Great post! Awesome visuals and I love that you share ancillary thoughts like the Mara book being by a favorite author. That prompted me to check out who wrote it. My daughter has read The Golden Goblet by her, but none of the others, so I’m adding her to our list of potentials for our next author study!

Alexandra November 30, 2010 at 2:29 am

Neat! We didn’t like those books(Books that Bombed) either. The super secular ones fall flat with us – they lack depth. The Bethlehem books are something we plan to read soon. Thanks for this post! I am bookmarking it.

Giggly Girls November 30, 2010 at 7:47 am

Awesome study!! I love the bound book using the envelops. So cool and much sturdier than using the construction paper pockets.

Barb-Harmony Art Mom November 30, 2010 at 9:40 am

I love the scrapbook feel to your lapbook this time. Love all the art included and her journaling is getting so sophisticated.

Sarah November 30, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Great job Sprite! Your lapbook looks cool with the envelopes they make it looks truely ancient! Can’t wait to see ancient greece. We tried adding notebook pages to our botany lapbooks this year and so far I love the mix…. we may use your ideas for our ancient egypt study next year!
Jimmie how did you sew the pockets together?

Jimmie November 30, 2010 at 7:54 pm

They are not sewn, Sarah. Click on the link to the tutorial for how to make the bound book with manila envelopes. There are step by step photos there.

Nadene November 30, 2010 at 2:05 pm

What a wonderful array of art work, notes, pictures and minibooks – Sprite had a rich study! This manilla bound book works really well for your study – it is really functional and has an antique feel to it too! Well done.

Eszter December 1, 2010 at 1:45 am

Great job! How much time do you spend doing such a lapbook? Do you do other subjects in the meanwhile?

Jimmie December 1, 2010 at 10:18 am

This study was several weeks, Eszter — over 8 weeks long. And, yes, we do all the other subjects in the meantime.

Aadel December 6, 2010 at 11:52 pm

How awesome and “artsy”! I love the creativity you guys use to display the information!

Jill December 7, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Cool lapbook! Definately go back to Mara soon! We just finished a similar study. My girls loved the Golden Goblet, but Mara was by far their favorite of the the two.

Thea S. February 20, 2011 at 8:21 am

Very creative artwork..there are many great history
about Egypt.. i will try this to my kids.

Jennifer June 3, 2015 at 7:08 am

What size envelopes did you use to fit the notebook papers inside? I have access to 10×13, but I’m wondering if it would need to be the 12×15 size. The link that tells how to make them didn’t specify size. It only said very large manilla envelopes!